Friday, March 19, 2010

Raw Burgers with Pesto Sauce... hmm

That is raw...  and it tastes delicious!

The recipe is a combination of what I read in  raw foods for real people and my own experimentation, i.e. I used yellow peppers instead of celery.

You need to plan ahead for this one, the dish takes 2.5 days to make (2 days sprouting 1/2 day dehydrating), which is great as you can plan ahead, way ahead!

I am experimenting with making bread but until I get it right I am using the Ezekiel brand which is organic and sprouted and live, or so they claim.  You can find it everywhere these days, I got it at Whole Foods.

The burgers are VERY easy to make but they require the dehydrator,  making them on the oven at low temperature is just not the same.

Bugers:
1 cup lentils sprouted
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/2 cup raw hulled sunflower seeds
1 lemon peeled and cut into little pieces
1/2 cup olive oil
1 yellow pepper cut in little pieces
Oregano (I prefer fresh)
sun dried tomatoes (I tend to put a bunch, I like them, about 10)

Mix everything in a blender, dehydrate for a few hours 2, or 3, then turn around and dehydrate for 10 or 12 more hours.

For the pesto sauce:
1 cup basil
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup of those really expensive pine nuts, yes that is why my ratio is low for these guys, besides I found out that the sauce tastes better with not so many of these anyway....
1 lemon peeled and cut in little chunks
1 or 2 depending on how you like it heads of garlic
1 shallot
a little spinach if you want to

Blend everything

To serve
Brush the Ezekiel bread slices with the pesto, then paint the burgers too and put them inside.

Serve with a salad and place some more pesto on the side for added lubrication.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails